Thursday, December 21, 2006

Becoming a Pro Photographer

What does it take to become a pro photographer in a developing country? Can this work?

Hi, My name is Alvinus Melius. I am from the Island of St. Lucia (Caribbean).

Photography has been a passion for some time now. One of the biggest drawbacks in pushing ahead is money. Photography equipment can be quit pricey. The other thing is that I am not somewhere like the US where I can lease or rent equipment. Everything I need I must purchase completely or elsee I can't have it.

I began a path a few months ago towards doing more photography and eventually going pro. It's all I've dreamt of doing for a while and I think I will finally do it. The first step on this path was purchasing a Canon 20D camera with one lens. The second step was purchasing a printer, an Epson R200...it's not what I really want but it will work for now. I need more lenses, I need a faster computer with a larger monitor (I'm currently using an Apple 12 inch Powerbook G4 1.33Ghz with 256Mb of RAM (anyone can see why I need a larger screen).

I will be selling photographic prints to make that money as well as doing photo jobs. I will post my progress here together with my ups and downs in trying to become a Pro photographer. You can see some of my work at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amelius

I plan to start shooting Models over the holidays.

Keep checking this blog for updates.

No comments: