Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Tips for marketing your photography

Two of the best things you can do to sell your photography are be nice to people and meet people's needs. 

Point in case: I don't own a studio. But I do portrait photography (among the other types of photography I do). I was shooting some landscapes on campus when some of the campus staff came to me asking whether I could take photos for them. They just wanted the photos to put as wallpapers on their computers at work. I did it for them (giving them appropriate resolution images). I am still taking pictures for these ladies. I was nice to them and I made a customer base at the campus.  I could have said no...I don't do that kinda stuff. Or charged them for a full resolution image but that probably would have limited the amount of work  I would have gotten from them.

Another example: I was wondering what I could do to get jobs. Which persons needed photographs? I realize that many needs are not being met, even with a gazillion (might not be in the dictionary) photographers around the place. So make calls. Snoop around a little and you could be the photographer meeting these needs.

A third idea is to GET OUT AND SHOOT. If you don't have jobs work on your personal projects. People who are not working don't get jobs. And when you are not working get the images out there. 

No comments: